Saturday 14 November 2009

My First Job!


I did not go back to school at Bushey after the Summer term, I did not expect to be retained after the Winter term so I elected to leave. They sent me my first prize as a leaving present. It was a book about radio! I had operated a crystal set most of the time without permission, (it had been refused by the Headmaster named Croft), he left in 1937 and a New Zealander took over, Norman Sinclair was his name. He was a human being, his wife gave us Cello Concerts on the stage of the Big School with the instrument clamped between her legs!, he had a family, and he told us about sex. He was a bit late with his talk, somehow the subject had already been brought to light by some small boy! However he did reassure us and strongly advised us to avoid "solitary vice"!

I was in Pontypridd with my Uncle Bill and Aunt Edie when war was declared. I heard the news on a TRF radio given me by my Uncle George, who lived in Pill Street, Penarth with Dollie his wife, Ethel, Mary and John.

I was found a job with the South Wales Relays firm run by George Ball, His firm provided wired wireless for the Valleys, sometimes called Redifusion. I used to go round as a helper for a technician who "fixed" and maintained the various amplifies located in different towns. He had a bike and sidecar which was very exciting for me.

Later I had to do night shifts at the receiving station in a hut on a hill at Trebanog, See photo!
Here there were receivers connected to the network. Some times we were two sometimes alone to select the programs and be sure to switch on at 7am because it was probably the signal to wake people up! It was really quite an adventure, boys from the village popped in and chatted from time to time. One man, a stranger came along once and made an effort to interfere with me but was quickly sent on his way never to be seen again! Once I overslept and was soundly reprimanded for not waking everyone up at 7 am!

I was in the LDV and took my rifle with me, but had no ammunition, so if a German parachutist had come I could have only hit him with it! I did fire the rifle at a Police range, but I don't think I had the eye for it. The LDV ensignia was just a khaki armband with LDV on it. It was supposed to save you from summary execution as you had advertised the fact that you were a combatant! I don't think that would have helped much in Spain! Franco's men massacred many who even looked like being against them!

My job finished when I went off to Chelmsford. However I bought my very own bicycle with my wages for £5!

No comments: