Saturday 14 November 2009

The holiday in Scotland in 1947 or 1948





I lived with my Uncle and Aunt a bit in Ponypridd, because my mother was working, my sister at College in London and my brother working in Barkley's bank in Usk. My grandma on my mother's side had died and I just had an Uncle and Aunt .in Barry and another Uncle and Aunt in Penarth with their two children and Ethel

Uncle Bill was almost a 2nd father to me after my father died in 1928. He had the rank of Inspector in Penarth and Bridgend and then Superintendant in Pontypridd. He had a nice house and in 1939 I occupied the top attic with all my gear,like radio etc!

When the war broke out he was just 60 and was retired. This was not his choice, he had upset someone higher up the chain of command and although he had hoped for being appointed Deputy Chief Constable he was almost forced out at the normal retirement age. He took a rather menial job of security officer at a local Trading Estate and had to give up the luxury of a Police house. Eventually after my mother removed to Gidea Park (to keep me in order!) He and my Aunt moved in with us bringing their furniture.

They wanted to visit Scotland and offered me a holiday with them. We went to Inverness to the Craigmone private hotel for a week or fortnight I can't now remember which. I met a relative of theirs and borrowed the hotel bicycle to visit Culloden Moor and generally roam around it.It was interesting and I met an English Archaeologist who was investigating stone circles. On the way back I popped in at a pub to quench my thirst and was amazed to find the whole place packed out and could hardly get to the bar to buy a drink!

I noticed one thing in Inverness one evening, at about 4 pm there was a great commotion outside a pub, it was actually people trying to fight their way in after closing time! They were certainly fond of their drinking in Inverness!

I went to Loch Ness one day looking for the monster. I had tea at a house, boiled egg and etc for two and sixpence. Apparently it is the custom for visitors just to knock on the door and ask for a meal I had a lift back on a very noisy truck.

We visted Loch Alvie where Uncle Bills family are buried and the hotel opposite the railway station which was built by one of his Uncles. Many years later on a return trip from Doonray I spent the afternoon while waiting for the night train back to London. The bar was shut but I was told I could still order drinks from the hotel sitting room! The night train proved a disaster, The handle of the loo fell off outside, after what seemed an age someone came to my aid and let me out!

It was a memorable holiday and I have put pictures on my blog.

No comments: