Friday 6 November 2009

Adieu to the East Preston Silver Surfers

TO THE EAST PRESTON SILVER SURFERS COMPUTER CLUB

I have received a wonderful letter from your secretary on your behalf, almost a testimonial which would help if I needed to apply for starting a new venture. Thank you all very much. I am flattered and hardly know what to say!

The club is in excellent condition, has a strong and capable team running it, so having done very little to help for the last year or so, I felt it time to leave room for another President, and I am sure that such a person can be found.

As you all know, my interest is in Linux and not Microsoft. It would be hard for me to help with Vista and Windows 7.

Without the early help from Paul and Brian, I could not have made much progress. They, the founder members, the Village Hall committee and Local Council support, all played a very important role. The lottery funding made the acquisition of equipment and services possible. Alma Barker, Dave Hughes, Sheila Young, were there too at the beginning. Our committee has expanded and the Trustees watch over the club finances. I in turn am proud of them all and only too glad to have been there at the moment of the club's “big bang”.

I gratefully accept the offer of becoming an Honorary Member, and promise to look in from time to time. With my grateful thanks and my best wishes to the club ..

.Your First President

1 comment:

Knife said...

Dad
I am very proud of you. You have shown that age is no barrier to starting new ventures and have demonstrated a great community spirit for which you are obviously appreciated.