Saturday 1 August 2009

!st August 2009



The annual East Preston Flower Show took place today. The Horticultural Society organise it and this year the weather spoilt a lot of the fun.

I spent some time yesterday finding some potatoes to exhibit. Finally chose 5 big ones and took them down before 10 am to put on display. I put them on the Sunny Jim tray.

The winner had 5 beautiful white potatoes with what seemed like indelible ink markings at the end of each potato. Very striking, indeed it won exhibit of the show. I wish that I had taken a picture of them.

Sadly the judges hadn't even turned my card over for people to see. I expect I had violated a rule by using a metal tray.

I heard from Prim later that it was the stewards who should have turned my card over, the judges had obviously decided that my potatoes might have been the biggest but were not good enough for any comment!

We had a cup of tea and a cake and heard the usual list if winners read out. They are certainly an energetic crowd of gardeners and all the exhibits (except for mine) were simply wonderful.

It is very unusual to have a rainy day for the show, and we were very unlucky!

I am adding to yesterday's blog because today Sunday I found a massive 5 lb courgette in the garden. I should have put it in the show, and it might have given the judges a nasty shock! Never mind...I am not able to give enough time nor attention to the serious business of competing against such a dedicated crowd of people.

I am sorry if I have given the impression of having my one entry ignored.

2 comments:

Knife said...

At the end of the day, they are just potatoes, so I guess the judges didn't get excited enough to lift the tray.
Now maybe if there was something about the shape that had been more exciting...

Unknown said...

Frank, I have violated our deed restriction covenants by growing vegtables in amongst the azaleas out front. 2 bell peppers plants which have yielded just about as much harvest as i expect they can considering this blasted heat and an egg plant bush which is starting to attract the attention of some nosy neighbors.
your potatoes should have won!