Tuesday 9 March 2010

Network Connection

For some time I have tried wireless connection to the network using whatever is on the computer or even an Asus usb "dongle". Some computers are fine some are not, some "disros" are fine and some are not. It depends on the kernel, on the device and on the patience that you can afford to display.

Tony Martin at our club told me about the mains wiring connection, and it is superb. I bought 2 devices from DLink and they are simply wonderful. Furthermore they run at 100Gb instead of 50 or so. Until something else comes along I will use them unless the wireless connection on the computer that I am using comes on immediately.

I have sent hours on many ditros trying out wireless and frankly it is a waste of time unless you learn something from enjoying yourself on the terminal or console.

If I had enough knowledge about unix and linux I could probably achieve everything. But the learning curve is long for many things, although very short for most. So I have spent all the time that I want on wireless connecting for the moment.

No comments: