Monday 22 September 2008

A horrendous journey home!


We were taken by Wilma to Harrow and Wealdstone at 5.30 pm on Sunday night as we wanted to get back home in order to put dustbin and bertie box out as the dustmen come on Monday morning at 7 am.

The train would take us to Euston and Wilma suggested that we get a taxi to Victoria. Alas there were steps down for taxis and steps down for tube trains so being parsimonious I thought we would try the tube. Alas the Victoria line was closed and all the ticket barriers seemed not to be openable by our tickets. Then the trains were delayed and we were 4 deep on the ploatform . I chatted to a lady from Hamilton NZ who advised us re the trains! We managed to get on the tube, squashed in by the doors! We had to change at Embankment and then up and down escalators and stairs with this now very heavy suitcase finally arriving at Victoria. Found a train and a seat only to be told that the train was cancelled and there would be an hour to wait.

Found a place for coffee, both of us wanted comfort stations, so one at a time we paid our 30p's
and back for coffee. Whilst Ursula was away, a beggar came up and asked for a sip of my coffee! I told him to buy his own but he replied that he had no money. He disappeared and later passed behind me, called me a bastard and expressed the wish that I would die on the way home. I ignored him.

At 8.10 or so we found another train, again found seats and eventually arrived back at Angmering at about 10 pm. Trudged around the other side of the station in the vain hope of getting a taxi. Nothing doing, so a weary walk with heavy case to our house!

My fault for not preparing for all this, fortified with a whisky we went to our slumbers! Just for a lark I added a picture taken last week on our Horti Trip to Stratford.

No comments: